This year, I will turn 34 (gasp!), and I feel like I’m no where near where I should have been. I just graduated from college, am working on my Masters, have a job rather than a career, and my health is totally out of whack. I’m kind of going through a crisis.
Also feel this incessant need to tell my daughter what life has really been like, not just the Disney version she sees. I want her to grow up knowing that it’s normal to want to get away from it all every once in a while. I don’t want her to think that she has to be perfect always. God knows I’m not, EVER.
Today, I decided to join in the fun started by Jenn from Simple Scrapper. She has decided to tell her story before her kids came along. She put it all into a scrapbook, but then realized there was more to say. This is where the 34 stories come into play.
The first prompt is to list 34 things about me, so here goes…
- My mom was hoping for a boy, and then I came along.
- I learned to read when I was 3 using “Condorito” comics in Spanish. <-Very inappropriate.
- Once I learned to talk, there was no stopping me.
- My family used to pay me to keep quite as a child.
- I loved Barbies and Matchbox cars as a little girl.
- I was sure that Johnny from Menudo sang only for me when I was 3 years old.
- I fell in love with Paris watching Dynasty with my mom in 1983.
- I fell in “love” with a different boy every school year since 2nd grade.
- In Kindergarten, the school bus drove past 3 cemeteries daily. It was weird.
- I’ve wanted to be an actress as long as I can remember.
- I used to make soap operas at home with my family.
- When they got tired, I started making movies with my barbies.
- The video camera was bigger than your average toaster oven.
- I started learning French in 4th grade, and I loved it immediately.
- I used to pull my 4th grade teacher’s wig when she wasn’t looking. Poor Mrs. Mango
- I used to spend every summer in Colombia with my mom’s family until she left me there for two months, and enrolled me in the 2nd grade. I called her frantic, and she had to come get me.
- My parents were getting divorced in 1987, which is why I was sent to Colombia.
- I vowed never to go back unless my mother came with me.
- I went back to Colombia in 1994 with my mother.
- My sister gave me my first computer in 1991. It was used, but it was MARVELOUS.
- The AOL bill was several hundred dollars the first month.
- I stepped on a mouse and killed it trying to save my 1 year-old niece from it.
- I hated doing homework, and rarely did it.
- I hated reading for homework, but enjoyed my own books.
- I didn’t read the assignments in 3rd grade, but I read all of Macbeth on my own.
- I loved WWF (wrestling) when I was about 9. Hulk Hogan was the man!
- I had my first boyfriend when I was 12. It lasted 3 weeks.
- I moved out of Queens when I was 13.
- I went from having to 800+ classmates in the 8th grade to 43!
- I got my first car when I was 15, but didn’t get a license until I was 17.
- I went to Europe for the first time in 1996.
- I spent a wonderful summer in Paris, and realized that I was right for loving it so much.
- I spend $100 in underwear in Paris because Mamita forbid me from going to the laundromat.
- I never thought that I would love as much as I love my kids, even when I want to strangle them.
Whew! 34 is A LOT, but there it is.